Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Whats an ETSY?

Good question.  Until last year, when my daughter explained where she got so many cute items from, I didn't know either.  "Better than EBay" is how it was first explained because ETSY is not a bidding process and all the items need to be handmade, vintage or able to be used to create such items.  I was intrigued, this is right up my alley.  As a crafter I've done many craft shows in my day and also given to friends and family afterwards - I like that make me one!  This didn't add to my wallet or cover my cost but they are friends and family and therefore - gifts.

I wanted to do this and I did my research to do it right.  I reviewed the website for helpful hints,  watched several videos and bought the ETSY for Dummies.  Often a silly series it was very informative and I have used many of the tips to get started. 


Deciding what to put into my store was easy.  Quilts, of course, selecting from my favorite magazines.  Place mats, because I use them everyday on my kitchen table, outside on the deck and keep them in our cars for lunch at the river or visit to the ice cream stand.. (Public picnic tables are disgusting and you cant really wash them adequately)  I also wanted something small.  I picked the "in the hoop" zipper cases and plush toys from my favorite digital shop Embroidery Garden,  I have made many for myself and use the cases for coins, my tea bags /sugar holder and a larger one for coupons (This way they don't become a crinkled mess!). 


Before opening the store I needed to create a name, I wanted it to contain Wilde but not be just focused on quilts, thus Sewing Wilde.  My daughter has Wilde in the Kitchen and could see my son doing a blog on Wilde Shots or something like that- he is into paintball and his new camera.

It is suggested you do not open your store until you have at least 8 items to sell, this keeps you from having an empty store as things sell.  The best way to get noticed on ETSY is great pictures taken in natural light.  For this I talked with my daughter the photographer, whose pictures on her blog get rave reviews.  I first took pictures with my nice little SONY and then borrowed my sons Canon T3i- much better.  I needed to add a clothes line to my back yard, which I have never used personally but surprisingly do own clothes pins.  The quilts look much better on the line than over the railing or tossed on a chair, but that's my opinion.


What takes me the longest is the written words for each item.  I want to get in all the particulars, size, color, how it was made, materials, and uses without is sounding like a catalog entry.  I will keep working on it.

I look forwards to my first sale, follower and to be on someones list of favorites.  What I love most is I can do this on my schedule, my time frame and not worry about making my numbers goal for a company or the politics of an office which I hated most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message and share your thoughts! Messages make me smile! I will email you directly after I have read them.
Thanks for stopping by!