Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Chevron

Over the last month or so I have been working on items to reopen my ETSY shop.  I have almost completed the personal projects I had piling up, totes, place mats, shower gifts for family members and a king size quilt for myself. Several of these I have already posted on a previous blog. I still have one more project started but it's a secret shhhhhh, it is a holiday gift for a family member. 
My King Size Quilt


The chevron is my go to quilt for baby's as of late. Using a minimum of 8 different printed fabrics and one solid I am creating beautiful quilts.  Using this old pattern with a more modern top stitching the double folded binding is turned all to the back side.  What this does is give the front a cleaner modern look and doesn't cut off the ends of the chevron blocks. I have a confession- am crazy fanatical about 2 things in the quilting process 1) pressing every seam after every stitch and 2) squaring my blocks. I have reviewed several ways to do my blocks, after many different methods I now make 8 chevron squares at a time.  


Placing two 9 x 9" squares right sides together place an X with erasable marker corner to corner.


Erasable Marker Lines

















Start stitching from one corner using this line as if it is the edge of the fabric, stitch 1/4" away.  When you get to the end turn it around and do the other side of this same line.  Repeat in the other corner.
1/4" Stitching on each side of the line

After completing the stitching, cut 4 lines to create 8 blocks.  Cut down the middle top to bottom then across the middle from side to side.  Then cut on the erasable lines and you will have 8 doubled triangles. 
Cut into 8 at the dotted line 

Press each triangle open and square to 4" x 4"
Open block and press seam to the darker fabric
Square block to 4" x 4"

If you square every block before putting it together everything lines up perfectly.  It's such a great pleasure and feeling to create a beautiful baby quilt that will be used, washed, played with and still be around for many years after they've grown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a message and share your thoughts! Messages make me smile! I will email you directly after I have read them.
Thanks for stopping by!