Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Finding a better way

Sorry I've been missing for a bit, I've been working on my Michael Miller Challenge for a month now.  Although I'm not ready to show the whole quilt yet, (soon I promise) when I decided to do inset corners I had to find a better way.

Normally when you do corner  triangles you would start with a square, stitch diagonally from point to point and cut off the excess leaving a quarter inch selvage.  Press to set the seam and then press open, I did this for the first one.  Then I measured the corner I cut off so I could make my ruler the template for all the other corners.


I figured if my first step was to cut off that corner I could use scrap for my insets not full squares.  No more wasting half or worrying about the square moving while I sew.  I just used a sticky note, some tape and a clear ruler ~ ta-da!


Press the scraps and use the ruler to cut off all the overage, save anything big enough to use again


So much easier with very little waste, now if I only had a use for about 100 tiny white triangles

 
Linking up with my Wednesday favorite blogs Freshly Pieced and Sew Fresh Quilts

13 comments:

  1. beautiful block! love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like this block, especially the skinny strip around the centre

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the block and your tip to minimize waste. Might be time to do some reverse blocks and add white in those corners. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I love where you're going with this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. I am excited to see the whole project come together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so much fun to see what everyone's coming up with for the Michael Miller challenge. The variety is amazing! It looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the block, Pam - can't wait to see the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone, it's always hard to look at fat eights and think of how you can make something beautiful and usable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous block!! I am quite certain you will dream up something beautiful to use all those itty bitty those 100 white triangles!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This little peek looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message and share your thoughts! Messages make me smile! I will email you directly after I have read them.
Thanks for stopping by!