Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

A finish and a WIP

My finish is a quilt made out of the bee blocks from the New Quilt Bloggers Group bee that was formed at the end of June ~ Yay!   I gave everyone a diagram I did in EQ7 and pictures of my samples to give them an idea of what I wanted.  For the first block of the group I kept the pattern simple and the color request easy as in ANYTHING you have in your stash.  I wanted a solid-ish center and 3rd ring, the rest can be any print as long as the background is white or off white. 

Sample Blocks
Since our group started out with 9 members each making 2 blocks the total would be 18 which doesn't make a great size quilt.  I made an additional 2 blocks to even it out to four rows of five, this looked perfect.  Then I decided I wanted to make a pillowcase to stuff it in so whoever sent me the last blocks would be the pillowcase.  I am still missing blocks from the last person- I will update this post with the pillow case once they arrive.

Finished Quilt for Project Linus
 
Side view

Border Ash Kona Cotton and Colorful Binding
These ladies were so quick I had them all for the quilt before the end of the month, I got started arranging blocks.  Played with sashing colors and decided to go with multiple colors, this is what I got.  Starting in August we are welcoming another member, this will bring our little group up to 10. 
 Thank you for your blocks
Debbie@QuiltingMakesMyHeartSing, Lin@LinsQuilts, Kate@ThreadEverywhere, Jill@PieLadyQuilts, Stephanie@LateNightQuilter, Christina@WipsAndTuts and Cheryl@MeadowMistDesigns
Photo bombed by Bella Rose
 This quilt will be donated to Project Linus locally here in Western New York.  For anyone interested in donating check the website link, most states have a contact so you can just drop off or you can mail it to headquarters.  Here our Joanne Fabrics Store is the drop-off site. 
 
 NEXT
As promised here are my currently finished blocks for  the Farmers Wife Quilt.  Im going to be honest, I am hating doing these blocks and I have come to the conclusion its the size of the blocks.  They are so small at 6 1/2" piecing this small is not a favorite of mine.  I am going to use the book increasing the blocks I want to make for future quilts but I am nixing this project.  Ive never done this before but I dont want to waste any more fabric.

 
Plus I finished another bird for my "Birds of a Feather" quilt. I think the this one came out better.  One more I think and I can start putting it together.
 
Do you do charity quilts?  My next charity is also local, it will be Newborns In Need. I hope to make 3 quilts for this one since the quilts are 36" x 36".  I have orphan blocks from testers when the queen gives me her fabric and I don't want to ruin it.  This bee is with my WNY MQG they will give me 24 blocks, with my centers I will have 9 ~ 12.5 x 12.5" blocks for each quilt.  I am queen in September so that will be October! 

Connecting with Sew Fresh Quilts and Freshly Pieced WIP's is back this week, come check out some other blogs
 
Off to sew,
Pam
 





14 comments:

  1. That is a lovely bee quilt! I also really like your new bird block. The lines in the white on the chest of the bird lay just right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous bee quilt!! Wow! It is going to make a child very happy :) I have only nixed a project one time, for the same reason. You will find something to do with those blocks (which are very pretty)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's incredible--a finished quilt and the month's barely over! The blocks play very well together. I really like the multi-colored sashing too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a lovely quilt, you chose a great design. I can't get over how generous quilters are, donating quilts to charity that take so much time, and let's face it, money, to make

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its easy when you feel lucky in life. I use bee blocks because its harder to donate a quilt I worked on myself for a month but I have done it. I am also donating my Michael Miller Quilt to another charity, but its my church.

      Delete
  5. Yea, Pam, wonderful job finishing up our quilt! I really love what you did with the blocks. Thank you so much for being our first Queen Bee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bee-utiful finish, Pam! I love the scrappy sashing. Great choice! I must commend you for your charity work. Your quilts will be such a blessing to those in need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful finished quilt Pam! Combining the blocks with colored sashing really pulled the whole quilt together. Would you allow me to post a picture of the finished quilt on my blog (with proper credits and links of course)? I posted my blocks I sent to you and it would be wonderful to be able to show a picture of the finished quilt. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bee quilt is amazing! The colors are so bright and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow,your quilt is so fresh and bright,I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous bee quilt! I can't believe you got it together so fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam - I love how this turned out. I can't believe how fast you but it together! I like how all of our blocks came together with the sashing, great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great design and fabrics for your bee quilt Pam!
    It cracks me up that whoever runs a bee is called a queen.
    I love your bird block!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely that a quilt in which anything from contributors' stashes goes ... um ... goes! It looks more colour coordinated and planned.
    I like to make humidicrib quilts for the hospital, but I really should have made more than I have lately.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message and share your thoughts! Messages make me smile! I will email you directly after I have read them.
Thanks for stopping by!